Hey you, yes, YOU – the one with dreams bigger than your fear, the one standing at the crossroads of ‘what if’ and ‘let’s do this.’ I see you, and I’m here for you. Today, we’re diving deep, and I mean ocean-deep, into a topic that’s buzzing in your mind – should you open a brick-and-mortar business? Whether you’re sipping coffee in your cozy home office or brainstorming ideas at lunch during your 9 to 5 job (this was me!), this episode is for you. Let’s unwrap this together, just like we would a much-awaited gift, with anticipation and a sprinkle of excitement.
The Three Faces in the Mirror of Brick-and-Mortar Business
First things first, let’s talk about the three types of brick-and-mortar business owners. As I explain, see if you can spot your reflection in this mirror.
- The 9 to 5 Dreamer: You’re in your cubicle, the clock ticks monotonously, but your heart beats to a different rhythm. You’re the one who dreams in color, longing for something more than reports and meetings discussing someone else’s big goals. Your mind wanders to a world where you’re the boss, where your passion translates into a living, breathing storefront. You’re seeking not just a business but a life-transforming journey. I’ve been there, friend, looking out that window, imagining ‘what if.’
- The Home Business Hero: Here you are, turning your living room into a makeshift office, your garage into a storage unit, juggling family and orders, and loving every chaotic minute. Your home-based business is thriving, but you’re bursting at the seams. You know deep down, a physical storefront is the stage where your business can truly perform. It’s not just about growth; it’s about potential, reaching out and touching the lives of more people with your work. You’ve proven you can do it and now you want to go BIG.
- The Born Entrepreneur: Some of you have had this dream etched in your heart since you were little. Maybe it was playing shop, or being mesmerized by the local bakery. Your dream might be a cafe filled with laughter and stories, or a boutique where every piece tells a tale. This isn’t just a career move; it’s a fulfillment of a lifelong dream, a piece of your identity waiting to be shared with the world.
Four Pillars to Validate Your Brick-and-Mortar Business Dreams
Now, let’s navigate through the four pillars that will help you validate if your brick-and-mortar business idea has not just profit potential, but life goals potential. Grab your notebook, and let’s dive in.
- Knowledge and Expertise: Start by looking inward. What knowledge or expertise can you utilize in your new business venture? Think about your strengths and how they can become the foundation of your business. And hey, it’s okay if you don’t know it all. Nobody does! The question is, are you willing to learn, or perhaps, bring someone aboard who complements your skills? You will want to utilize your strengths in this business you are creating and have a strategy to fill in the gaps.
- Market Valuation: Now, let’s step outside and look around. What does your local market say? Who are your competitors, and how can you be different? If you’re transitioning from a home business, talk to your customers. They’re your treasure trove of insights. If you don’t have a home business, post questions in local Facebook groups or on the Nextdoor App, stir up conversations, and understand the markets needs for your product or service.
- Industry Research: This is where we roll up our sleeves. Dedicate time to dig into your industry. Read trade publications, market reports, and competitor analysis. But here’s the fun part – connect with communities, online forums, and maybe sneak into a few trade shows (virtually or in-person). Remember, knowledge is power, and in your journey, it should be on-going.
- Excitement Factor: Finally, and most importantly, does this idea make your heart sing? It’s not just about liking what you do; it’s about loving it, being passionate about it. You’re going to invest a lot of time, energy, and resources into this business. It should be something that gets you out of bed with a smile, even on a Monday morning.
Embracing Your Path, No Matter Where You Stand
Now, take a deep breath. Where do you see yourself in this kaleidoscope of possibilities? Maybe you’re still figuring it out, and that’s perfectly okay. This journey, like all great adventures, is about discovering yourself as much as it’s about building a business.
If you’re still feeling like a square peg in a round hole, don’t fret. Sometimes, the best paths are the ones we pave ourselves. Listen to your intuition, it’s your internal compass, and it’s rarely wrong.
The Power of Community and Connection
Before we wrap up, let’s talk about the magic of community. Whether you’re a type 1, 2, or 3, or somewhere in between, remember, you’re not alone. I’m here, cheering you on, and so is our incredible community. That’s why we’ve created Brick N’ Mortar Academy, an online program that provides you the steppingstones to opening a brick-and-mortar business surrounded by like-minded individuals. Enroll today and let us be your support system, sounding board, and cheerleaders.
Your Next Steps
So, what’s next? Start by letting your ideas marinate. Then, take those first small steps. Research, plan, and reach out for help when needed. And through it all, stay true to your vision, your values, and yourself. Remember, every big business once started as a dream, just like yours.
I want you to remember this – you are capable, you are brave, and your dreams are valid. Whether you choose to step into the world of brick-and-mortar businesses or carve a different path, know that you have the strength to make it wonderful.
Stay inspired, stay empowered, and above all, stay YOU. Until next time, keep dreaming and doing. The world needs your unique light.
Links Mentioned in this Episode:
- Free Masterclass: 5 Things You Need to Know Before You Open
- Enroll in Brick N’ Mortar Academy
- Tap Mango: Our Preferred Customer Rewards Platform
- Follow us on Instagram
Subscribe & Review in iTunes
Are you subscribed to our podcast? If you’re not, we want to encourage you to do that today. We don’t want you to miss out on valuable information that can help you grow your business. Click here to subscribe in iTunes!
Now if you’re feeling extra nice today, we would be really grateful if you left us a review over on iTunes, too. Those reviews help other people find our podcast and they’re also fun for us to go in and read. Just click here to review, select “Ratings and Reviews” and “Write a Review” and let me know what your favorite part of the podcast is. Thank you!